Homeland Security and Emergency Management
College of Professional Advancement
Safeguard your community as a public safety expert
Students interested in public safety and security can pursue Mercer University’s Bachelor of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management. The curriculum examines global threats to public safety and prepares students for the management aspect of this field. Graduates know how to plan for and manage disasters through coursework that:
- Provides a strong foundation of knowledge regarding public safety issues
- Equips students with the tools to develop leadership skills
- Teaches effective communication for high-risk situations
- Develops critical thinking skills regarding important issues in public safety
Students will have the opportunity for service-based learning to further develop core competencies in the field. The degree program also targets adult learners who work in the homeland security and emergency response arena.
Designed for busy and working adults
At Mercer, we strive to make it easier for adult students to access the higher education programs they need. The B.S. in Homeland Security and Emergency Management is available completely online with courses structured in eight-week sessions. Students will have the same access to faculty and essential resources as they would with an in-person classroom format. The program admits students five times per year in January, March, May, August, and October.
Choose from intriguing career options in homeland security and emergency response
Homeland security and emergency response professionals often find employment in government and nonprofit agencies. Graduates of Mercer’s bachelor’s degree can work in a variety of positions such as:
- Air Marshal
- Border Patrol Agent
- CIA Analyst or Officer
- Customs and Border Protection Officer
- Disaster Engagement Specialist
- Disaster Services Analyst
- Emergency Management Planner
- Emergency Preparedness Analyst
- Emergency Response Coordinator
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Agent
Learn more about our Homeland Security and Emergency Management major
- Program Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Tuition and Aid
- Transferring Credits
- Meet the Faculty
Ready to take the next step?
Schedule your personalized admissions counseling appointment.