Homeland Security and Emergency Management, B.S.

B.S. Homeland Security Emergency Management

Mercer University's Bachelor of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management is a fully-online degree program designed with a strong foundation of knowledge regarding bachelors homeland securitycurrent issues facing various public safety entities, and is geared toward prospects that possess a strong interest in the field of homeland security and emergency response. The degree aims to develop students’ leadership skills and abilities to communicate effectively and efficiently in various high-risk situations. Students enrolled in this program will answer the call of global threats to public safety, focusing on the management aspect of this field (such as organizing and pre-planning for manmade and natural disasters).SR Education 2019 Best Online Colleges HSEM

This program offers courses in eight-week sessions, allowing students the opportunity for service-based learning. In addition, the coursework assists students in developing critical thinking skills regarding important issues in public safety. Students are admitted to the program five times per year in August, October, January, March and May.

LEARNING OUTCOMESSR Education 2019 Best Online Colleges Georgia

Upon completion of the program, students will be prepared to:

  • Develop and defend positions on current issues in homeland security and emergency management  
  • Design policies and procedures geared towards responding to national security threats
  • Apply critical decision making skills to determine how to inform and manage public responses to critical incidents  
  • Distinguish how the various components of the public safety system interact  

Individuals who successfully complete Mercer’s Bachelor of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management degree program are prepared to work as professionals in a wide variety of positions, including: air marshal, border patrol agent, CIA analyst or officer, customs and border protection officer, disaster engagement specialist, disaster services analyst, emergency management planner, emergency medical technician, emergency response coordinator, immigration and customs enforement (ICE) agent.

The Bachelor of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management requires a total of 120 semester hours to complete, including general education studies.

View the Bachelor of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management Program Plan >


Applicants for the B.S. Homeland Security and Emergency Management program should have a minimum 2.25 cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale and must be in good standing with the most recent regionally accredited college or university attended.

Application Checklist
Submit all of the following items to complete your application to the program:

  • Application for Admission. Begin application now >
  •  College Transcripts – Applicants must submit one official transcript from every postsecondary institution previously attended, regardless of length of stay or if the grades are listed on another school's transcript.   If you are transferring from another institution, you may use the Transfer Equivalency Estimator to measure how your coursework will be credited towards your degree. Mercer will accept 64 credits from a two-year institution and 96 credits from a four-year institution. This tool provides an unofficial report of transferable courses. Upon submission of official college transcripts and acceptance, an official report will be completed by the University Registrar. Official electronic transcripts should be submitted to enroll@mercer.edu.
  • High School or General Educational Development (GED) Transcript
    An official high school or GED transcript for applicants who have not attempted or have earned less than 30 hours of college credit.

Submit all application supporting materials to:
Mercer University
Henry County Regional Academic Center
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 2140
McDonough, GA 30253

Admission decisions cannot be made until all application materials have been received. International students have additional requirements.

Priority Deadlines
Submit your application with all supporting materials by the following deadlines:
Fall Session I (August): July 15
Fall Session II (October): October 1
Spring Session I (January): November 15
Spring Session II (March): March 1
Summer (May): April 15

If you have an associate degree or course credits from a regionally-accredited community or technical college, you may transfer qualifying credits toward a degree at Mercer University where we offer a comprehensive credit transfer policy. Use the Transfer Equivalency Estimator to measure how your coursework will be credited towards your degree.

Additionally, if you have an associate’s degree in Homeland Security or Emergency Management from an institution within the Technical College System of Georgia, view the credits that will transfer to our program.

The Enterprise Learning Partnership program (formerly known as the Preferred Provider Partnership program) provides affordable opportunities for employees of partner companies to attend an approved degree program of study at Mercer University. This unique program allows Mercer to establish relationships with corporations, government agencies, and organizations that are committed to supporting their employees' educational goals and ongoing professional development. Incentives include tuition benefits, military benefits, waived application fees, convenient credit transfer policy, and a streamlined process to learn more about an employee’s program of interest.

Employees of the following Mercer partners are able to use these benefits when enrolled in the B.S. in Homeland Security and Emergency Management program:

Bibb County Sheriff's Office
City of Atlanta Fire Rescue Department
Douglas County Sheriff's Office
Georgia Department of Corrections 
Gwinnett County Police Department


Learn more about Mercer’s Enterprise Learning Partnership program > 

PROGRAM NAME 1 credit  3 credits  6 credits  9 credits 
B.S. Homeland Security and Emergency Management $475 $1,425 $2,850 $4,275

Facilities/Tech Fees: 

Undergraduate Students
1-11 Hours - $12.50/hr
12-99 Hours – $150/semester

A. Evaluation of Foreign Credentials Applicants who completed all or part of their education abroad are required to have their foreign educational credentials evaluated by an independent evaluation service. A Course-by-Course and Grade Point Average Equivalent Evaluation is required for undergraduate admission. Contact the Office of Admissions for information about evaluation services if your foreign credentials have not been evaluated. If an evaluation has been done, you must submit an official sealed copy with your application.

B. Official Translations Documents submitted in a language other than English must be accompanied by official translations.

C. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) The TOEFL or IELTS is required for international applicants whose primary language is not English. The scores may not be more than two years old. Official score reports must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions by the Educational Testing Service. The Educational Testing Service institution code for submission of official score reports is 5025. Unofficial copies of the score report may be included with the application for initial review and evaluation. This does not replace the requirement of an official score report for those applicants who are offered admission.

Exception: The TOEFL is not required of international applicants who have attended another U.S. institution and completed freshman English Composition I and II with grades of "C" or higher.

D. Financial Guarantee International applicants who wish to obtain an I-20 for F-1 visa must include financial documentation showing ability to finance tuition and living expenses for one year. Financial documents must have a current date and indicate available funds of US $25,000.

E. Visa Status International Applicants Who are Currently in the United States - Documentation of your current visa status must be submitted with the self-managed application. (Copy of I-20 and I-94 if on an F-1 visa; copy of visa stamp and I-94 if on another type of visa; or copy of Resident Alien card [front and back] if classified as a Resident Alien.)