Dr. Zhiling Long
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Department of Informatics and Mathematics
- B.E., Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
- M.E., Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
- M.S., Mississippi State University
- Ph.D., Mississippi State University
Dr. Zhiling Long is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science in the Department of Informatics and Mathematics. Before joining Mercer University in August 2021, Dr. Long spent two years working as a teaching faculty in the Computer Science Department of Kennesaw State University. Prior to that, he was a postdoctoral fellow at Georgia Institute of Technology and a research staff at Mississippi State University.
- Computer Organization and Architecture
- Data Mining
- Data Structures Lab
- Database Design
- Electronic Circuits
- Introduction to Database Systems
Research and professional interests
Dr. Long’s research activities have been mainly focused on machine learning for intelligent data analytics. The data modalities include both visual (images, videos, imaging data, etc.) and non-visual (audios, sensory sequences, scientific measurement data, etc.). The applications broadly cover modeling, detection, classification, clustering, segmentation, labeling, retrieval, fusion, registration, and tracking in practical areas such as computer vision, medical image analysis, seismic subsurface structure identification, material characterization, and remote sensing. Dr. Long has published more than 60 papers in peer-reviewed journals and conferences.
- Y. Hu, Z. Long, A. Sundaresan, M. Alfarraj, G. AlRegib, S. Park, and S. Jayaraman, “Fabric surface characterization: Assessment of deep learning-based texture representations using a challenging dataset,” The Journal of the Textile Institute, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 293-305, Feb. 2021.
- Z. Long, Y. Alaudah, M. A. Qureshi, Y. Hu, Z. Wang, M. Alfarraj, G. AlRegib, A. Amin, M. Deriche, S. Al-Dharrab, and H. Di, “A comparative study of texture attributes for characterizing subsurface structures in seismic volumes,” Interpretation, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. T1055-T1066, Nov. 2018.
- Y. Hu, Z. Long, and G. AlRegib, “A high-speed, real-time vision system for texture tracking and thread counting,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 758-762, Jun. 2018.
- T. Alshawi, Z. Long, and G. AlRegib, “Unsupervised uncertainty estimation using spatiotemporal cues in video saliency detection,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 2818-2827, Jun. 2018.
- G. AlRegib, M. Deriche, Z. Long, H. Di, Z. Wang, Y. Alaudah, M. Shafiq, and M. Alfarraj, “Subsurface structure analysis using computational interpretation and learning: A visual signal processing perspective,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 82-98, Mar. 2018.